Via elephant journal
on Apr 27, 2014
get elephant's newsletter

bath bathe depression sadness

Just kidding: when I’m burned out and uninspired, the last thing I need is some cheesey top 10 list on the internet.

I’m tired.

My eyes have bags and my eye-bags have bags.

My dog is bored, waiting for me to get outside. I don’t want to go outside. I don’t want to be inside. All I want is pancakes.

So I ate pancakes. That didn’t help. I had coffee. That didn’t even help. I’ll tell you (really, reminding myself), what truly helps.

Burnout is, at its core, not about working too much. It’s about being unfocused too much, for too long, or about being too focused for too long.

Either way, the way to fix burnout is the way we put out any slow-burning fire. We cool it.

So find something you enjoy focusing on: and do it, gently, with pleasure, for a long time. Yoga. Bath and The Sunday New York Times. A good book. A nap.

But, fundamentally, all those things point to the same solution. We need to heal our minds, and gladden our hearts, by reconnecting with our own tender hearts. And we can do this through meditation.

It’s that easy. Or, rather simple—it’s simple, but not easy. So sit. Take a good, natural, uplifted posture, and relax. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

(keep breathing)

Refocus one’s mind on the present moment. Again and again, and gently.

And soon enough, we rediscover the will to live this lonely life with joy, instead of cowardice.

Yours in the Vision of an Enlightened Society,

Waylon

Relephant:

10 Ways to Take Care of Ourselves When We’re Suffering from Burn Out.

147,914 views

About elephant journal

elephant journal is dedicated to “bringing together those working (and playing) to create enlightened society.” We’re about anything that helps us to live a good life that’s also good for others, and our planet. >>>

Founded as a print magazine in 2002, we went national in 2005 and then (because mainstream magazine distribution is wildly inefficient from an eco-responsible point of view) transitioned online in 2009. >>>

elephant’s been named to 30 top new media lists, and was voted #1 in the US on twitter’s Shorty Awards for #green content…two years running. >>>

Get involved:
> Subscribe to our free Best of the Week e-newsletter.
> Follow us on Twitter Fan us on Facebook.
> Write: send article or query.
> Advertise.
> Pay for what you read, help indie journalism survive and thrive.

Comments

16 Responses to “10 Profound Things that help me reconnect with joy when I’m burned out & uninspired.”

1. inspirationlocation says:

Brill.

2. Stephanie says:

Just what I needed today. Blessings.

3. elephantjournal says:

Dana L: what a strange article- starts with 'just kidding' and gets worse

Elephant Journal Really? I find the salve to burn out to be just being. Not a quick fix or top 10 list, which is where our speedy minds (which create the problem in the first place) want to go.

4. elephantjournal says:

Genevieve S So short, sweet and to the point.

Michelle P Thank you for this article. It's perfect and really captures the sense of burnout … when our usual 'feel better' remedies don't work. I appreciate the way you subtly highlight the need for balance – periods of activity and rest (like a heartbeat) in equal measure. And yes … meditation is a way to get there… a structured kind of rest.

Victoria S the pancakes part. I love this man.

David D Just breath = answer to most of life's situations and problems

Susanne K Very uplifting might I say!

Gerry Ellen post-April/eclipses/moons/cosmos energy= I totally get it. Nature always helps.

Ruth Terreri ((hugs))

5. I can't believe you KNEW about the pancakes….gives me chills I relate so strongly. Thank you for sharing the "cure" – gentle activities that draw our spirits out of the dark forest where they hide when we are burned out. I commend you for writing this, Waylon.

6. Tammy T. Stone says:

i totally needed to hear this today. off to breathe now. thank you ….

7. Chris K. says:

I just love this and really needed it today. Will share.
    Thank you…now, off to breathe.

8. Chris K. says:

I just love this and really needed it today. Will share.

9. Cora says:

I totally disagree. It was a very CALMING and SIMPLE way to communicate CHILL.. I totally appreciate it and so should you.

It was a message to BE and BREATHE.

Thank you Elephant Journal for Being!

10. reclaimingyourfuture says:

I really needed to read this today! Feeling so physically and mentally tired that it's affecting my ability to write which I feel guilty for so thank you for posting this and helping the uninspired feel ok about it 🙂

11. KLP says:

That's so funny. I made my family pancakes last night for dinner because I was too tired and burnt out to cook anything else. What a great little article. Thanks for sharing!

12. Jenna McAsey says:

This gave me a real tickle. Thank you !

13. Gina Marchant says:

Overthinking is poison. Simplicity is something we all need to get back to. Simplicity. Thank you~

14. judy says:

I like this reminder — thanks so much!

15. Rodney says:

Exactly what i needed to read at the right time.

16. FDP says:

A very important complement to this beautiful list is getting massages or bodywork on a regular basis. Of course, the cost may be prohibitive to some people but the the long-term benefits to the mind, body and soul are priceless.